Wednesday 14 November 2012

Typography 1

 The above screenshot shows the finished title with the gradient, burn and drop shadow effects.

A drop shadow is basically a shadow that lies behind the text. Clicking he 'Drop Shadow...' button from the previous screenshot brings up the window shown above. In this window I can change the angle and the distance that the shadow appears from the text. The 'Drop Shadow' effect will make the text stand out more on the poster. Shadows are also a convention of horror, often used to indirectly show the audience the 'monster', originating from 'Nosferatu' (1922).

 The next thing that I did was create a drop shadow behind the text. I did this using the 'Add a layer style' button located underneath the layers palette, which brings up the above menu.

 The above screenshot shows my text after I have used the burn tool on the text. I used this effect because it leads to a dirty/grubby look which is often used in horror posters, this is mainly to do with the Gothic theme it presents.

 The above screenshot shows a close-up of part of my text. You can clearly see where I have used the burn tool on the bottom of the 'E' in 'End'. The more times you click over certain parts of the text with the 'Burn Tool' the darker it gets, and the fewer times you click only creates a slight darken.

 The next thing that I did was 'Burn' the text using the 'Burn Tool' shown above. The burn tool darkens areas of images (and text).

 The above screenshot shows the gradient in use on he text. As you can see, the darker shade of red blends in with the lighter shade of red.

 With the editing window open, I then clicked 'Gradient Overlay'. 'Gradient Overlay' is different to using just a solid colour to colour in the text, instead a gradient will blend two colours together. I chose to use two similar shades of red for my gradient because red is a very typical colour used in horror, especially in the sub-genres of 'slasher' and 'goreno' that often use it to represent blood and gore.

 I was then able to edit my text. What I wanted to do first was to change the colour of the text. To do so, I right-clicked to text layer and then clicked 'Blending Options' which is shown above. This brings up  a window shown in the next screenshot.

 As I have used multiple text boxes to create the title,it would be difficult to edit each piece of text separately  To overcome this I have to conjoin all of the separate pieces of text. I did this by selecting all pieces of text using the layers panel on the right-hand side, then right-clicking them to reveal the menu above. Then I clicked 'Convert to Smart Object' to create the single block of text for editing. 

 This is what the image looked like when I finished typing out the text. As you can see, I used different sizes of text in the image because I have found that horror posters often do this. The font that I used for the text was 'AR JULIAN'.

 The first thing I do in Photoshop is select the 'Horizontal Type Tool', this allows me to insert text, ie title, into the image. I do this by creating a text box with this tool and typing what I want into the text box.

No comments:

Post a Comment