Sunday 9 December 2012

Photo Manipulation 3

This is the original image that I used to edit. I thought I would use a close-up of an eye for one image because eyes are often used in horror posters. I think that the focus on the eye is used to create an enigma code where the audience are unable to see what's actually going on around the character and makes them want to fine out more. An eye could also be used because many people become squeamish when they focus on an eye, and this emotional response is the type of thing that horror films set out to create. 

The first step I took was to decrease the saturation. Again, this image was too brightly coloured to be used in a horror poster and I thought that a more desaturated feel would be more appropriate for a horror image.

In the screenshot above I used the gradient tool again to bring the focus more so onto the eye rather than the background. It was also to bring in the darkness and black colour into the poster again, similar to my other images.

Having already decreased the saturation earlier in the editing process, I still felt that image appeared too brightly coloured, especially against the the black gradient.

In this screenshot I used he quick select tool to select the eye as I wanted to create a red overlay on the eye.

In this screenshot you can see that I have selected the overlay effect which after I chose to apply as red as I thought that it would give the eye a possessed kind of appearance.

To make the eye more visible over the overlay I decreased the opacity so the eye was more visible.

As I did with my other photo manipulation, I chose to use the photo I had taken of the tree bark to create the cracked effect again. I did this by overlaying the tree bark then decreasing the opacity.

Here is the final edit of the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment