Thursday 20 December 2012

Typography: The Massacre

I chose to use a font called 'Hollywood Hills' for this poster because I felt that it looked quite conevtional of the slasher genre which is the subgenre that I plan on basing this poster on. What also attracted me to this font was the up and down effect of the font where some letters are higher or lower than others which gives a kind of crazed and messy feel to the text. 

I decided to make the colour of the text red because the colour is very typical of the slasher subgenre as it relates to the blood often seen in films of the subgenre. I decided to not use an extremely bold colour of red because I thought that it looked more aesthetically pleasing than using a more blood red and also because I wanted it to be separate from the blood red that I plan on using in the poster.

The next thing I did was select the entirety of the text using the 'Magic Wand' tool. This is because the next stage involves some editing that I only want to appear on the text and not the background.

As I have now selected the text, I wanted to use the crack effect brush tool using the drop down menu to create a crack effect on the text. The crack effect gives the text a more aged and Gothic feel to the text.

This is what the text looked like after I had applied the crack brush. The next thing that I wanted to do was use the blood effect brush which applies blood type effects, again relating to the slasher subgenre. I did this by selecting the blood effect brush from the brush tool drop down menu.

Here you can see the final edit of my typography with the dripping blood effect on some parts of the text. 



No comments:

Post a Comment