Thursday 20 December 2012

Typography: The Unexpected

The first step in creating this particular typography was by typing the title. I wanted this particular typography to relate to the 'supernatural' horror subgenre and so I thought using the "Plantagenet Cherokee" font worked quite well because it was the formal type of font that is often used in the supernatural subgenre but had more rigid edging which made it look a little more like horror. I also wanted to use a white font to relate to ghosts and poltergeist etc. which are associated with the subgenre. I decided to make the 'The' smaller than the word 'Unexpected' because I want this word to be the main focus.

I thought that the pure white colour of the font was a bit too plain to be used on a horror poster, so I decided to use a dotted type brush to make the text look a little more dirty.

Here you can see how the text looks after I have used the brush tool on it. As you can see I have used the tool sparingly because I thought that if I overused the tool it may not still relate to the supernatural subgenre.

The next thing I did to the typography was to create a blur on the text. I did this by going to Filter > Blur... > Gaussian Blur. I thought that this made the text, again, relate to the theme of ghosts and poltergeist in the supernatural subgenre and also because it made the text look slightly mysterious.

In this screnshot you can see me choosing the strength of the br on the text using the slider in the 'Gaussian Blur' window.

After applying the Gaussian Blur effect I felt that it had caused the brush effect that I had applied before it to blur and become less visible. As a result, I thought it would be good to reapply this brush to retain the dirty look whilst still keeping the blur effect.

The last thing that I did to the text was use the eraser tool to erase parts of the text as you can see above. I felt that was quite conventional of posters of the supernatural subgenre as it, again, gives a ghostly appearance but because it helps the text fade into the background it could also give the appearance of fog which is often used in some horror film settings.

The above screenshot is the final edit of the typography for 'The Unexpected'. I think that I have successfully achieved typography that could belong to the supernatural subgenre with it's relation to ghosts/poltergeists and also fog, all conventions of the supernatural subgenre.

No comments:

Post a Comment